Thursday, October 30, 2014

The Anti-UFO Project: a red cardigan

Oh boy did it take me long to finish this one. I don't even know how long ago it got abandoned into a corner in my drawer, but we're talking YEARS here ladies.


Why did this cardigan become an UFO? Indecisiveness. The pattern calls for a contrast satin button band and the best contrast color I could find at that moment was a horrendous brown shade. I'm still glad I didn't use that one. The pattern is #117 from Burda 4/2010 and I don't recall making any changes.


I still wasn't sure what to do about the button band this time around, so I put off the decision making for as long as possible. The pieces were already cut out and the fronts, shoulders and arm scythes reinforced with fusible interfacing, so I got straight to sewing.  I'm now wondering though: how much of your knits do you reinforce, using fusible interfacing or something else? The shoulders? The neckline? Arm scythes?? Too much interfacing already??

I'm really happy with my button band, like ridiculously happy. After all, it took me years to come up with this idea. The seam allowance is reinforced with fusible interfacing and I turned it to the wrong side using cotton bias band. That is some sturdy stuff btw, not at all like satin bias band. The buttons are from my stash. The front is now a bit narrower since I omitted the extra button band, but I probably won't wear it buttoned up anyway.


The reason I finally got around to this cardigan is the Anti-UFO Project by All Style and All Substance. Such a great kick in the bum! I'll be posting my cardigan to the Fall Essentials Sew-Along Flickr group and the Spooky Season Linky Party too.

So now tell me, tell me: what are your most guarded UFO-secrets?

I'll leave you with crazy bunny-eyes, because why not?




3 comments:

  1. Ooh, I like it! And the bunny tee shirt :) the colour is really nice. I usually only reinforce the shoulder seams with cotton twill tape, and the only button band I've ever dared sew in a knit is done with iron on interfacing. Still too scared to try button holes in a knit! It must be satisfying to get it finished :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! The bunny T-shirt is my favorite too :) I think I followed Burda's directions with the fusible interfacing on this one, but I'm not sure how necessary it is to reinforce the arm scythes? I was really scared of making the button holes too, but since the ironed on interfacing made the seam allowance really quite stiff, and the cotton bias band was really sturdy, then the only stretchy part left was the upper layer of jersey. I went slowly with my machine and survived to tell the tale!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I kind of want to steal that bunny shirt too...

    ReplyDelete