Sunday, October 26, 2014

Fear Fabric Challenge: scuba leggings

I present to you the most unexciting contestant in the Second Annual Fear Fabric Challenge, hosted by the lovely Beth from 110 Creations. I actually feel bad for entering something that was so unchallenging to sew, since the whole idea of the challenge is to, well, challenge yourself to sew with a fabric that scares you. But guys, scuba scares me!


Give me some lace, chiffon or satin and I'll sure feel challenged, but at the same time more at home as a seamstress. Does that make sense? Scuba on the other hand, is some weird man-made invention that's supposed to be so EASY and COMFORTABLE. No wonder a girl gets suspicious.


So here is my first attempt at sewing with scuba fabric. And of course I loved it, and of course that's mildly irritating when I've been avoiding it for so long. It's so easy to sew with, it's like ponte knit and denim had a love child and it was told to always behave nicely and respect older people. THAT'S how nice it is. I would even go as far as to say that this is the fabric I would recommend to anyone who's embarking on their first sewing journey. You know, for that first project where nothing can go wrong or the aspiring tailor will hate everything sewing related for the rest of their lives and take up wood work or something instead. And we can't let that happen, we need fresh blood on our side.


The wearing part I don't know about yet. Since my house is occupied by two Jack Russel Terriers, I've been moving around like a ninja to avoid getting dog hair on my leggings. If my butt had actually touched the sofa, there could never have been any pictures. Never. On the flip side, you can't tell anything about the wearability of leggings before you have worn them to a) a movie night with the girls, b) binge watched Netflix while knitting or c) had too much tea and too many laughs with a friend while sitting in awkward positions.


The pattern is number 130A from Burda 1/2011. I've made the version with the attached skirt once in a much lighter jersey. This time I shortened the legs, lowered the rise and added a bit of width throughout the legs since the scuba is a sturdier knit. Good call btw. And since it's also thicker, I noticed some of my usual crotch seam abnormalities that weren't noticeable in the lighter knit. Too long in the front and too short in the back, not much to do when the seams are serged together, so I compromised and shortened both a bit. Totally boring and totally should have seen it coming.

There you have it folks, my first blogged fall make! I'll be posting my leggings to the Fear Fabric Flickr group, the 4th Annual Fall Essentials Sew-Along Flickr group and the Spooky Season Linky Party over at Project Sewn too. Phew. Check those out if you haven't already. Happy social sewing everyone!




4 comments:

  1. These look amazing! I'm kind of scared of scuba too...but not so much after reading your review! I think it's smart to choose a simple pattern for a new fabric, I did the same thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I felt like the only one in the world who could be scared of such a simple fabric as scuba :D I can't wait to see what you made for the challenge, I'm sure it's going to put my leggings to shame! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you posted this - I was just wondering what pants would look like made up in scuba, and if they could pass as pants. They look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been wearing these as leggings, but they're totally opaque, so you don't have to worry about showing too much :)

      Delete