Saturday, July 19, 2014

More jersey and lace

This is the younger sister of my red jersey and lace top. No major changes, I just tweaked the pattern a bit.


My biggest issue with my first version was that it was snugger than I intended, so I added a whopping 10 cm at the center front hemline this time. I like it much better now, although it doesn't feel as wide as I thought it would, probably because this jersey isn't nearly as stretchy as my red viscose from jersey-hell.


The jersey is from my mum's stash (!) and I barely managed to squeeze out this top from the left-over piece. I got this matching lace to go with it, and it was the only one in the store that was even nearly the right shade of white. It's so sheer it reminds me of a veil, but I'm liking it more and more. 


I tried finishing the neck line and arm scythes with a double needle as I did with my red top, but the lace wouldn't have any of it. Instead I finished the edges by overlocking them, pressing them to the wrong side and stitching them down with a stretch stitch. This was a totally new technique to me, but it seems to be stretchy enough, and quite pretty actually. It took some trial and error though. I had cranked up the differential feed on my serger after sewing the side seams, which meant that the first time around the serged edge wasn't nearly stretchy enough and I had to rip it out. But then, success! A new technique to add to my repertoire.


Oh and this time I basted the lace to the jersey with my sewing machine before serging the edges. Yay for me!


This really was the perfect Summer Stashbust-project, and extra points for reducing my mom's stash right?

7 comments:

  1. I like it :). And yes, definitely an extra point for reducing your mom's stash! Lucky girl :D. My stash is growing faster than I'm able to sew. So I should have taken part in the Stashbust competition as well and it even ends on my/our wedding anniversary. And haha :) just saw that only garments are allowed after the 21 June - that's the date when my hubby asked me if I want to marry him. *omg* is this a sign? Maybe I need to attack my stash and don't buy any new fabric...
    PS: Love your red version too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you! Yep, maybe it's a sign... ;)

      Delete
  2. Very pretty top, beautiful match up of the fabrics! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty, love the lace look and fabric matches good! Well done :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I wasn't sure about this lace at first, but now I like it a lot :)

      Delete